Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Marblehead, Crocker Park and a visit

I made a trip June 30th to Marblehead bringing some work for the gift shops at the Art Association and also the Historical Commission. This is always a pleasant trip to see my home town again and friends...... after leaving there 46 years ago, it still seems like yesterday despite the many changes.


I sat at the wharf having my lunch where the lobster boats still come in to unload their catch. The traps though are all metal now and not the wooden ones a lobsterman might have made in the winter months. In 1981 I wrote a small illustrated book call A Lobster Tale, which is still available, and in it my friend Arthur, made his lobster traps in the winter. That was my one day of ever lobstering and I made drawings of it for a calendar back then.


A short distance from the wharf is Crocker Park and looking inland you'll see the famous landmark in town, Abbot Hall, where the Historical Commission gift shop is. Most well know too is the original painting of the Spirit of "76, which is very inspiring to see. I think it measures about five by eight feet.


The stage was getting set up for the entertainment coming with thousands of people to watch the harbor illumination and fireworks. The harbor views are always spectacular but even more special on the Fourth. Some things never change, the rocks, views, and days of summer with swimmers on the float to the lower right.


I did this painting depicting Crocker Park when I heard the 1812 Overture being played before the fireworks began. Here is the Boston Pops, on a Victrola, conducted by Arthur Fiedler, firing of the cannon, and the pig, Pops, wagging his tail to ring the bell. I had a surprise call on the Fourth of July from an old classmate, MHS'63. He came by after leaving Marblehead returning to his home in New York. It was Charlie and his wife Machiko and I found out they won the bid for the buoy I did for the Art Association's silent auction. Never thought I'd see the lobster buoy again.


This was a Fourth to remember and I hope yours was as well.




















No comments: