Saturday, June 18, 2011

Antique Autos visit

Last January I was asked if I would be interested in hosting the first stop of the antique auto tour called the "Autoneers Tour" on June 11th. It was 80 miles of a set course around Glastonbury an area of which my studio was the first stop. As it turned out there was five feet of snow when it was first planned at that time but unfortunately it did rain that morning.
So because of the rain, many didn't show and only those that had top covers did because all the autos were made before 1915. I prepared a welcome notice on the black board by the barn door complete with my early iron toy car displayed on the shelf. My father found two of them in the attic floor boards of a Marblehead house our family lived in on Pleasant Street. I never knew what happened to the larger one but that was about 60 years ago.
The hum sound of the first car came and it was that of the Stanley Steamer. Having to top off the water it then maneuvered closer to get to the hose. Very exciting to see and hear. This auto parked near the Hemlock Trees, looked the same as it would have a century ago. When it was time for the Stanley Steamer to leave, you knew it as the clouds of steam filled the air




One by one they were gone only to leave a memory and these images. I wonder if they will ever be back? Maybe on a nice sunny day?

The Stanley Steamer sure did leave a cloud of steam vapors in the air for others to experience and a big blast of it's horn sounding like a steamship leaving port.






















No comments: