Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Cogswell's Grant 1728




As many of you know, I started my business in the beautiful little town of Essex, Massachusetts in 1966 and I do go back there several times a year. A great place to visit is Cogswell's Grant which was the summer home of Bertram K. and Nina Fletcher Little, collectors and writers of early American decorative arts. She referred to "Folk Art" as Country Arts which I think is a nice definition. I had the occassion one summer day to privately meet with them and always remember their hospitality. Mrs. Little enjoyed showing me the many collectons throughout the house and the stories about them. She was aware of my work and suggested that I go to New York to the Museum of American Folk Art. After many years I finally did visit the museum....... two years ago. Time has a way of flying by fast before you know it. Creativity of artwork however is frozen in time and becomes the history of today for us to enjoy.

Cogswell's Grant is open June 1st thru October 15th and has a wonderful country setting with stone walls overlooking the marshes of Essex. Just call 978-768-3632 for more information or check it out on line.

1 comment:

Gary K said...

Chris, we really enjoyed looking at your work. Was great getting acquainted with you this past weekend. Gary and Sue Kaufman